What to know about lobelia –
Lobelia is a small pedal flower that in famously blue – though it comes in many different colors that include red, pink, and white. But the most popular variety among gardeners is the deep blue lobelia. It has a striking blue color that blends nicely with many contrasting summer flowers.
- Lobelia comprises of a substantial number of large and small annual, perennial and shrubby species from a variety of habitats. All have simple, alternate leaves and two-lipped tubular flowers, each with five lobes.
- REFERENCE: information lifted from wikipedia
INFO: Laguna® Dark Blue: proven winners
Where to grow:
Lobelia thrives in most climates. They are both annual and perennial but are purchased as annuals since Lobelia will not survive a frost. They thrive in both full and part sunny areas of your garden. It is very rare to find blue flowers – so lobelia has become a popular blue flower for container and flower bed design.
- Lobelia will reach about 4-6 inches in height during the growing season. They make great border plants mixed it with other low annuals.
- You will often find lobelia mixed with other flowers in planting containers. They add a deep blue color that matches perfectly with white and yellow plantings.
- INFO: growing lobelia
INFO: growing lobelia in containers
Lobelia can be planted by itself to make a huge area of blue flowers in your garden planning. However, lobelia comes in many other colors that could be mixed together to give an array of massive color.
- But many professional gardeners like to mix up lobelia with other summer flowers. For example is the blue lobelia mixed in with the yellow marigold or white petunia. A perfect match for a decorative view. You should try using lobelia (all colors) as a mix with other summer flowers..
- IMAGES: lobelia garden ideas
IMAGES: lobelia in containers
INFO: flower of the week – lobelia
Care and Harvesting:
Lobelia will grow all summer long. But as you near the end of season, it’s time to harvest the seed and that can be dried and used the following spring. They are very tiny, so a magnifying glass might be needed to harvest and collect the seed.
- Lobelia can also used as a herbal remedy. It has been used for centuries for aiding in asthma, depression, and other health issues. But you must avoid high doses.
- INFO: how to harvest lobelia seeds
INFO: planting lobelia seeds!
INFO: healthy effects of lobelia
Summary:Light: sun, part sun
Soil: semi-moist, humas
Height: 1-3 feet, 3-8 feet
Width: 1-3 feet
Flower: deep blue, white, pink, red
Season: summer blooms, fall blooms
Features: good for containers, attracts birds, cut flowers
Benefits: deer resistant, drought tolerant
Propagation: seed, division, stem cuttings
INFO: view growing zones
- What comments can you share?
or simply search by entering annual flower name or other remodeling need
Find Landscaping/Maintenance Landscape Design Landscape Maintenance Pest Control Sprinkler Systems Tree & Shrubs Water Features top-rated, pre-screened local contractors FREE: download contractor selection enter zip code – powered by HomeAdvisor ™
other related garden landscaping:
Cover image credit: lobelia flower by Pixabay
end of post … please share it!
Nice pic idea? Leave us a quick comment below.
And please share this pic idea within your social networks.