“photo remodeling” image analysis
copyright image by twenty20.com
What do you see in the image above?
Let’s start with a kitchen island:
if room permits, you might consider installing a kitchen island that you can use for food preparation and cleanup. The kitchen island should be positioned for easy access to the cooking area – where you can pivot from food prep to food cooking to food cleanup.
- An added bonus with kitchen islands is an area on the opposite side of the island for a counter sit-up. Using some nice stools, the island becomes a sitting area for eating, conversation, and enjoying a cup of coffee before the day begins.
- For kitchens that are smaller in size where an island may not fit, be sure include countertop area for food prep and sit-up. You may be looking at a L-shape counter with the small “L” for food cooking and the large “L’ for clean up, food prep, and possibly a counter sitting section.
- INFO: all about kitchen islands
INFO: don’t make these kitchen island design mistakes
- FIND: kitchen islands with seating
FIND: granite countertop transformation
Select countertop type:
you need to decide countertop type for counter areas and island. You have many types of countertops to choose from – the most popular trends hard stone counters like marble, granite and quartz tops. There are also ceramic, concrete, wood, and other engineered and laminate materials.
- Granite and quartz tops offer the best return on your investment. So if the budget allows, consider one of these options. If your budget is tight, look into engineered hard stone options that may be priced less. You won’t regret your decision. There are also laminate top options that resemble stone and wood. Check them out!
- INFO: 10 types of countertops you should know before renovating your kitchen
INFO: countertop buying guide
INFO: top countertop choices tested for durability
- INFO: beginner’s guide to engineered stone countertops
INFO: most popular laminate countertops
What type of sink:
once you have selected your countertop, the next big =decision is what kind of kitchen sink. That will need to be decided before installing your kitchen countertop since the installation must measure the size and type of kitchen sink and plumbing for the faucet.
- Sink examples include undermount (illustrated above), drop-in (with an overhanging lip), or other type sink basins. Sinks materials include stainless steel, enamel, copper, fireclay, solid service and more. You also need to decide whether it will be double or single basin – with or without a drain board.
- INFO: undermount vs. drop-in sink: which is right for me?
INFO: different types of kitchen sinks
INFO: stylish, stain-resistant, or both: which type of kitchen sink is right for you?
- FIND: undermount kitchen sink
FIND: drop-in kitchen sink
FIND: farmhouse kitchen sink
The need for decorative faucets:
Now that you have selected the type of sink, a follow-through decision is whether you want a single or dual handle faucet. That will determine the type of cuts in your countertop for plumbing. For a drop-in sink, you have a bit more flexibility.
- Another decision is whether you want to invest into a pot-filler faucet. That may require additional plumbing that may or may not be worth the investment.
- INFO: basic types of kitchen faucets and their distinctions of operation
INFO: real reasons you need a pot filler faucet in your kitchen
INFO: reasons not to include a pot filler in your new kitchen design
- FIND: modern kitchen faucet
FIND: vintage pot filler faucet
FIND: black kitchen faucet
Make sure your have good lighting:
this is sometimes overlooked – make sure your plan for adequate lighting – very critical for food prepartion and cooking. Note the under-cabinet (under-hood) lighting over the cooking area and counters. Bright recessed lighting in the open cabinets.
- For the kitchen island, you might consider 3 pendant lighting units with dimmable LED bulbs. That will give you plenty of light for meal preparation and clean-up.
- INFO: 14 tips for better kitchen lighting
INFO: kitchen lighting: tips from a designer
INFO: interior design — best kitchen lighting tips
- FIND: kitchen pendant lighting over island
FIND: kitchen cabinet lighting
FIND: kitchen recessed ceiling light
Contrasting cabinet colors:
finally, you need to decide cabinets and other cupboard storage. What is becoming popular are contrasting colors for cabinets. In this image analysis, note the cabinet dark colors underneath and the light colors above. The faucet and cabinet handles match the dark. The subway tile backsplash makes a nice combination to tie everything together.
- Custom made cabinets are the most expensive option – pre-frabricated cabinets from home centers can keep the cost down. It all depends on what you need in cabinetry and budget.
- INFO: 10 kitchen cabinet color combinations you’ll actually want to commit to
INFO: captivating kitchen color schemes
- FIND: kitchen cabinet paint kit
FIND: kitchen cabinet hardware
we have gone over the basic design elements for kitchen design. Other considerations include appliances, flooring type, kitchen organization and seating. These are a lot of decisions you need to spec out – print our kitchen spec sheet for help.
Make sure you capture everything along with the cost before finalizing your plan with a contractor. The kitchen is one of the most important rooms in the house, so make sure your design plan makes it functional and stylish.
What comments what can you share about this photo idea?
Extra Tall & Adjustable Stools
or simply search by entering bar stool type or other kitchen need
other related items of interest:
May We Suggest Some Key Postings About
|Kitchen Design- Avoiding Common Layout Mistakes(same win)|
|8 Remodeling and Renovation Tips to Design Your Dream Kitchen (same win)|
|Retro Inspiration: A History of Kitchen Design (same win)|
Find Kitchen Remodeling Services Kitchen Remodeling and Design Cabinets & Countertops Flooring Lighting Design Painting & Staining top-rated, pre-screened local contractors FREE: download contractor selection enter zip code – powered by HomeAdvisor ™
Cover image credit: new kitchen design by twenty20.com
end of post … please share it!
Nice pic idea? Leave us a quick comment below.
And please share this pic idea within your social networks.