What to know about the Chrysanthemum –
often referred as mums (for short), is a hardy and colorful plant that blooms during Autumn – just as the fall season begins and the leaves begin to fall. Mums are often associated with the harvest, Halloween and Thanksgiving seasons. They make perfect arrangements for fall decorating themes.
- Chrysanthemums are divided into two basic groups, garden hardy and exhibition. Garden hardy mums are perennials flowers capable of wintering in most northern latitudes. The exhibition varieties can be used to create many amazing display forms.
- Most gardeners purchase the “hardy” mums from garden centers around the Autumn season to replace summer flowers that are dying out and/or to form cascading beds of color, hanging baskets, and autumn displays. They can be planted in spring for fall color when summer flowers begin to fade.
- REFERENCE: wikipedia
Where to grow:
in sunny bed locations or displays. They are water hogs – so water them daily but with good drainage, especially during warm days or when mums are being displayed in containers. You can find mums in just about every color: yellow – lavender/pink – purple – red – bronze – white. They come in both flower “oval” and “pedal” blooms.
- Mums can survive a light freeze – but in the event of a hard freeze, you may want to cover them and/or remove them inside for protection. Once freeze temperatures return permanently, mums will drop their flower and stems and return again in the spring as a perennial.
- INFO: how to plant, grow, and care for chrysanthemums
INFO: 11 interesting facts you should know about chrysanthemum
Chrysanthemum (hardy mums) will grow a bushy, blue-green foliage that occupies space in your garden during the summer months – the flower will not bloom until late summer/fall. So you need to interspersed them among your summer flower plantings. Once the summer flowers fade, the hardy mum will take over long-lasting bloom.
- Many gardeners will simply buy the “hardy” mums in the fall to replace summer flowers that have died out. Most of these mums are exhibited in containers for garden bed and/or porch/patio displays.
- INFO: landscaping ideas with chrysanthemums
INFO: how to grow mums as perennials
INFO: creative ideas for decorating with mums outdoors
Light: part, full sun – Height: 1-3 feet – Width: 1-3 feet – Season: late summer and fall blooms – Features: low maintenance, good for containers, cut flowers – Propagation: division, stem cuttings – Zones: 2-11: INFO: view growing zones
- What comments can you share?
or simply search by entering annual flower name or other remodeling need
Find Landscaping/Maintenance Landscape Design Landscape Maintenance Pest Control Sprinkler Systems Tree & Shrubs Water Features top-rated, pre-screened local contractors FREE: download contractor selection enter zip code – powered by HomeAdvisor ™
other related garden landscaping:
Cover image credit: hardy mums by Pixabay
end of post … please share it!
Nice pic idea? Leave us a quick comment below.
And please share this pic idea within your social networks.